Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hidden Progress


I was just thinking just the other day about how I use this blog as a medium for complaining about my daily journeys through the rough roads of school and politics. I guess somewhere along the way I forgot that the premise of Politiks n' Blahniks was to track my progress through this complex world that I had once knew absolutely nothing about. I guess when I finally started my journey I was taking in so much material that I didn't have to time to just sit down and regurgitate the things I learned or reflect on the complexities that baffled me. Blogging became nonsensical and a mindless getaway...

Nonetheless, although this blog has not accurately reflected my actual transformation into the other side- it's all there.

Like my very first entry, I wouldn't have been able to carry on a conversation about politics and the economy with anyone (despite my economics degree background), but I can talk about fashion and celebrity gossip like it was no big deal (reflective of my secondary degree, Sociology - the study of being social. . .supposedly). I think the final trigger of becoming more politically savvy and worldly was on this particular sunny afternoon a year ago. . . I was sitting outside during break and a group of law students were talking to each other. I was minding my own business and trying to catch up for the day's reading. I suddenly heard "blah blah Abu Dhabi blah blah." My eye's lit up and I was thinking to myself "ooh this is much more interesting than ConLaw, they're talking about Sex and the City 2" (which recently came out the same month) so I decided to ease drop to see what they thought of the movie. I didn't hear Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha or Miranda. . .

... Of course, of course- they were talking about the Abu Dhabi government. . . my interested smile turned into a dumbfounded frown and that turned into a realization event to take action. Of course I would never have known there was a place called "Abu Dhabi" had it not been for SATC 2. . . here I was thinking it was a make believe place too good to be true all for Carrie to bump into Aidan and be tempted to cheat on Big... pooh

That was then. . . In the last couple of years I have become more familiar with the wonderful world of the news. I have managed to squeeze in the daily news to educate myself in between the crevices of my down time.
  • First thing in the morning, I wake up to my alarm and go onto Facebook where I have streamed the Huffington Post and the Daily Beast onto my newsfeed. I browse merely the titles to wake me up and fall out of bed.
  • My daily commute from LB to LA consists of CNN radio and Bloomberg (when CNN becomes too engrossed into petty or gory criminal news).
  • In between my class breaks I skim through my RSS or Bloglovin' feed for a visual break from the I.R.C.
  • After a long day of class, I recuperate by watching The View (daily DVR, of course) and vegging out for half an hour. . .and then I jump back into studying.
At the end of the night, if I have time and still have room in my brain for more educational indulgences, I watch political or economic documentaries, which I have become extremely fond of! Although I am aware that most are biased and one-sided, I still watch it religiously and take in everything.

So there you have it, what I actually have been doing the last year, beyond my complaints of exhaustion. . .(now that I think about it, maybe that's why my brain is so fried by the end of the day to blog about anything). . .

This entry was actually meant to lead in to my new goal of writing about all the documentaries I have been watching, to summarize and discuss the impact it has on society- I guess that entry will have to wait for another day, but as a note to self, these are a list of the ones I will eventually review (if I have the time at all)
  1. Too Big to Fail (HBO film/documentary) (Rate: 5/5)
  2. Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room (Rate: 4/5)
  3. Freakonomics (Rate: 2/5)
  4. Food, Inc. (Rate: 4/5)
  5. King Corn (Rate: 3/5)
  6. Food Matters (Rate: 2/5)
  7. Supersize Me (Rate: 3/5)
Enough for today- study time.

Love, Nat

Cancun countdown: 6 weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...