Monday, March 9, 2009

A Lawyer?! Why?!

This weekend I went home to visit my family in OC and upon running 'round town to run errands with my mom, I realized just how soft of a grip I had on my dreams for law school. I grew up in a small city full of small business owners, so it's one of those things where adults see you grow up and constantly ask you what you're doing with your life. Not too long ago, the word was that I was going to fashion school to become a fashion designer. So when we went to our dry cleaner's and I told her I was going to law school this Fall, she looks at me and asks "Why? You look too nice to be a lawyer! I thought you were going to go to fashion school? Why?" It was a rhetorical question not expecting an answer...also given she was a seamstress, it wasn't too surprising that she would be more supportive of a more feminine profession.

Upon going to my Mom's accountant to get her taxes done later on the day, the accountant tells us that her wonderful daughter is planning on going to med school and become a doctor...my mom comes back with a "Oh well my daughter is going to law school..." With a look of almost refrained disgust, she responds "Law school? Why do you want to be a lawyer? You want to argue for a living?" I was at a lost for words as it was hard to think and respond in Vietnamese- since I'm not very fluent...So here I was thinking- why do I want to be a lawyer? For a moment, I actually second guessed myself...

As the day progress, I still felt dumbfounded...After graduation, a part of me had felt stagnant and lost when it came to what I wanted to do with my life and I needed a leaping board to advance me further- I have to admit that like most people it was what you'd call an expensive "Default option." It was for a point, but as the months went on to the painful task of studying for the LSAT, to the application process, to getting my first acceptance letter I started changing my mindframe about the concept of me becoming a lawyer and the idea adjusted in my head. I really believe that law school will open new doors for me and expose me to a network of intelligent people who will challenge my intellectual capabilities and push me further in the right direction. Sometimes you gotta hit the ground running and have that blind faith that whatever's planned may go astray but you will end up closer to your realized dream than if you sat and pondered what ifs all your life...

A slow Monday at work...so may return with more thoughts...

Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...